Friday, July 17, 2009

Hot Peppers and Other Stuff




It has been "awfully hot", which is the way the weather bureau describes each day's 100 degree forecast. We're rationing water in The Woodlands but I'm able to hand water the garden as often as needed. Everything is growing well. Getting loads of jalapeno peppers and okra. The peppers aren't very spicy (my kind of peppers!) and are delicious in anything or just as a snack with a bit of cheese. The okra have been going into pickle jars and are very tender and yummy. I've even converted picky eater daughter to like pickled okra, although she did decline to take a jar home with her. I have to pick the tomatoes while still green and not quite full sized to keep the birds from pecking them to pieces, but they ripen nicely on the window sill in the kitchen. The red potatoes didn't do too well but I think it's because I over fertilized them and burned up the plants. I got a few potatoes but not as much as I had hoped for. The sweet potato vines are all over the place. The squash is growning pretty well and the vines are running down the walkway about 5' or so, growing fast every day. I've only gotten a few squash vegetables so far. Some of them get covered with a black fungus or mold before they mature. Don't know what that's all about but will research. A rat is out and about. I've seen him a couple of times on the back porch but haven't seen any crop damage from him. Still, he's repulsive. He won't eat the poison! Smart little bugger. I sent the cat out after him one day. Cat stalked stealthly, as cats do, went into the bushes where the rat had disappeared a few minutes before, the bushes shook wildly and the cat came flying out looking scared to death. Round One to Rat.

No comments: