Saturday, September 24, 2011

I'm baaack!

It's been a while! I've been gardening all along and have learned a lot - what to do, what not to do, and what happens when you fall and hurt your knee. I had some mulch put in my garden last spring when I had a sprinkler system installed and it killed everything in the garden. Then I fell and tore something in my knee and can't kneel anymore, which makes gardening really hard since I don't have a raised garden. Then the sweet potatoes that I planted two years ago decided to reappear and take over the garden. Plus the weeds. Then one of the coldest winters happened last year and now the hottest summer on record with days and days of 105 degrees and up, plus wild fires in the area and on and on. What a mess! So, on a relatively cool morning, when the temps were still in the 70s I got out there and weeded, pulled up the sweet potatoes and now have a garden ready for planting, which may happen this weekend. Temps are still in the high 90s, so it's about 10 degrees hotter than it should be but I think we'll be OK due to the sprinkler system. We're rationing water so I can only water two days a week but I may sneak in a few extra waterings while the seedlings take hold.

No comments: