Friday, October 7, 2011

Something new

Late last night I realized I needed horseradish sauce for a beef tenderloin I'm preparing this weekend. None in the house and I didn't want to go to the store. Here's the good thing about a garden. A couple of years ago I had a bit of leftover horseradish root and stuck it in the ground where it has flourished ever since. Huge green leaves - it's a pretty plant above ground, and it had spread. So I took my trusty flashlight outside and harvested several roots. Found Emeril Lagasse's recipe for creamed horseradish on the Internet so I made about a cup of it. I love when I find I can make something that normally I would have just bought at the store. This goes in the category with marshmallows, graham crackers, sandwich bread, mayonnaise, pasta, cheese and other foods I've made at home instead of getting storebought. In some cases it's cheaper but not always (graham crackers require expensive graham flour) and sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth (marshmallows are messy). But it's always fun to try and often 100 times more delicious.

No comments: