Monday, May 25, 2009

Best. Pickles. Ever.

My friend MJ gave me this recipe for dill pickles. I can't seem to grow decent cucumbers so we went to a local farm and bought pickling cukes yesterday. Out of 9 lb. of cucumbers I got 4 1/2 qts of whole pickles, 4 pints of sliced pickles, 4 pints of jalapeno flavored hot pickle spears. These are so tasty I don't think I'll ever be satisfied by store bought pickles again. And they aren't difficult to make, so might as well make 'em myself.

I also put up 2 half-pint jars of pickled radishes. I pulled all of the radishes in the garden to make them. They're really pretty and pink in the jars.

Anne's Dill Pickles
For 6 pints (using approx. 5 lb. pickling cucumbers):
1 qt white vinegar
1/2 - 3/4 c. pickling or Kosher salt
2 qt water
2/3 c sugar
Bring this mixture to a boil

For each pint jar:
1/4 tsp dill seed
5 pepper corns
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh dill weed
1/4 tsp alum
1 jalapeno (if you want it hot)

Sterilize jars by running them through the dishwasher on hot cycle. After jars are ready pack cucumbers in. Pour brine over. Leave 1/2" open at the top of the jar. Heat lids and rims. Seal by turning upside down until cool.

Yummy!

No comments: